The Benefits of Property Staging
If you are thinking about or preparing your home for sale, you are likely to want a home sale process that is as stress-free and quick as possible, whilst getting the right price for your home too. Of course you will be impacted by the current market and the area and type of property you have, but there are lots of ways you can present your home in the best light possible – this is where the idea of property staging comes in.
If your home isn’t selling as quickly as you would like or you aren’t receiving the expected offers, it could be a result of your property appearing cluttered and not showcasing its best features by maximising the available space and natural light.
Property staging – what’s involved?
Property staging is simply showing your home in the best possible light. Many of you will do this naturally, but a more conscious effort to show your property in its best light will do all home sellers some good and provide the best chance of a quick sale for the best possible price. It’s all about giving your home a bit of a makeover before you get your listing photos taken and start to get viewers through the door. Depending on the current state of your property, and what budget you have to play with, your property staging project can be as simple as a good clean and well placed accessories, or at the other end of the scale, replacing or updating a bathroom or kitchen. The objective is to make your home as desirable as possible and help potential buyers envisage themselves living there.
When does it make sense to stage your property?
Sellers should always make their homes look their best when trying to attract buyers. If you know this isn’t your strong point, there are even people you can hire in to do the job for you. Pay attention to the current market and it’ll give you an idea of why you might need to stage your property. In a slow market, making your property more attractive should attract more buyer interest whereas in a seller’s market, it may help you achieve a better price.
Property staging ideas
You should always be careful that any money you put into your property when preparing to sell will give you a good mark-up on your sale price so costs are comfortably covered – so be particularly wary of big bathroom or kitchen renovations which can be pricey. Perhaps there are smaller touches you can make in these rooms that will make the world of difference. Other improvement you could make include:
- Giving walls a paint refresh – neutral tones are often best when selling, creating a ‘blank canvass’
- Declutter and remove overly personal items such as family photos and any art or decorative items that are less ‘generic’. Show as much floor and storage space as possible to help show the dimensions and potential of your property.
- Give a thorough clean everywhere and consider hiring professionals in. A deep carpet clean can work wonders.
- Make all beds with matching linen, making sure it’s in good condition and pressed and ironed. An addition of a throw and some decorative cushions looks good too.
- Stage the dining table with your good table mats, runners and crockery. A vase of flowers here and through the house is a nice touch too.
- Pay attention to the atmosphere when you walk throughout your home. Make sure everywhere smells good, the property has been well-aired, is well lit and is a comfortable temperature to ensure a positive, lasting impression.
- Tired kitchens and bathrooms can be tidied up by painting cupboard doors, re-grouting tiles and replacing taps. Keep kitchen surfaces clear and tidy away any kitchen and bathroom clutter in cupboards.
- Don’t forget to tidy garden and garage space too.
Clyde Property is a leading independent, multiple award winning estate and letting agent with 30 years’ experience in selling and letting property in Scotland. Just contact your local branch today, for friendly, impartial advice on buying or selling a home.